Monday, September 15, 2008

Birthday Boy

Dad,
You've had a birthday shout hurray, we want to sing to you today. One year older and wiser too, Happy Birthday to YOU!

If we could only be with you tonight. If we were together I know we would have been barbecuing steak, eating baked potatoes, and enjoying some delicious cake and ice cream. Ahh those were the days when we celebrated together in the AZ sun. Man we miss you. I know I have said this a million times, but it is hard to be separated on days like today. When you have tasted of the sweet, it is hard to leave it. We miss the celebrations!

Dad, I have thought a lot over the years about something you once said to me. I hope you don't mind, if I reminisce with you. I remember I was about 15 years old. We had gone to the church and there was a meeting going on. I wanted to go with you and play basketball while you were in the meeting. At the time, I was talking to one certain boy on the phone a lot. Should we name names?? Okay so it was Naka. :) We had met at Youth Conference and hung out at dances and things. I remember you walked in and said you wanted to talk to me for a minute. You asked me what my relationship with Naka was. I remember being so surprised by the question. I explained that we were friends and that yea we liked each other, but we were not dating or anything we weren't supposed to be doing. I recall being grateful that I could answer honestly and not be afraid to share my feelings with you. I think it made me feel so good that you had come to me and asked me on such an adult level. We continued to discuss it for a bit and then you went back to doing something at the church and I played more ball. I never ever forgot that conversation. It made me want to be good. Made me want to be my best. And I never forgot it when I eventually turned 16 and started to date. I knew that you and Mom cared. I knew that you wanted me to be clean and pure. I knew from that day, that I wanted to be clean and pure for myself and for you. And now today, as a Mom, I hope for that same relationship with my daughters. I hope that I too can turn to them and talk with the same respect and love that you did Dad. This is just one experience of many that I have had with you Dad that has changed me for the better. I hope that on this day, your birthday, and everyday, that you know how much your loved and appreciated. You are my Dad, and how grateful I am for that. You are my Dad for always and forever. YES!!!! I love you Dad. Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So sweet! Dads are special guys...I have never forgotten any of the special talks me and my dad shared :)
Happy Birthday Bro. MacDonald!!