For those of you who know me well, I do enjoy the Today Show. I find I watch it less these days, but I still do watch it a little. I think the reason is I miss Katie Couric. What can I say, I liked her a lot. Not that Meredith is not good, but well Katie is Katie. Anyhow, as they are often saying when one anchor is in one place and one in the other, they have a split edition. So was the case at the Phippen home this past weeknd. I ran off to Redlands, CA to be with my parents, two sisters, a niece, an aunt, an uncle and four cousins. It has been one year since my grandmother passed away and we were excited to do her temple work for her. I joined the party Friday night and stayed all the way through Sunday afternoon. It is an extremely emotional thing for me to go to Redlands. Let me explain. My parents were raised in Redlands and the surrounding area. They met, fell in love and were married in the LA temple. Both sets of my grandparents lived there for all most of my growing up years. In fact, both my paternal grandparents died there. As you can imagine, we spent many, many summers there visiting them. I have so many memories there. And then in the last 8 years we lived in Phoenix and here in Visalia. When we lived in PHX it was a quick 4 hour trip and we were blessed to make it many times. And then moving to Visalia, we have made the trip again as it is only 4 hours south this time. We've made it our stop on our way to see my parents in Goodyear, AZ. It is a pretty little city. And even now as I type this I can't help but well up. I lost my maternal grandmother and paternal grandfather last year within two weeks of each other. My physical ties to this sweet place are gone. Their homes have been sold and that chapter of my life is closed. The chapter is long, full of dear memories. I didn't want it to end. And even now a year later, as I drove into town I couldn't help but cry for my grandparents. I miss them so much.
It is so appropriate that a temple has been built there and we gathered as a family and did the work for my grandmother. It meant so much more to us to do it there then another temple. We had brought her to the open house and had walked the halls of the temple once with her before. And it felt so right to be there again. It also brought such sweet memories forward of my other grandparents. My Dad pointed out in the celestial room where President Hinckley had stood and where my Grandpa and Dad had sat for the dedication of the temple. It was like being home again. I will always feel that way about Redlands.
I loved too, that my Mom and her sister and my aunt Vicki were sealed to their parents. And that my Grandmother who was orphaned at 3 was sealed to her parents. She didn't remember them in this life and what a sweet day for them to be together for eternity. My Grandma was the last of her siblings to pass on and now they are all sealed together. My Mom's cousins came from Idaho and Utah to be there as well. I love each of these strong beautiful women as well. They are who introduced my Mom and Aunt to the gospel and I am so eternally grateful to them for they example and the love and support they have ALWAYS shown my Mom and Vicki. They are just amazing and it is incredible to be with all of them in the same room. They are a hoot. Never has there been a group of 6 women that can laugh more. I loved being with them. I love you Marti, Leslie, Karen, Eileen, Vicki and Mom!!! What great examples you are to me.
1 comment:
What a special, special time for you! I know you will treasure that memory! Grandparents are so special!! Sounds like your hubby did awesome....what a great guy!
Post a Comment