Monday, October 27, 2008

My Birthday Boy


Darin, my love, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

To this day, I can still see your face at my apartment door with egg in hand. Maybe I should explain for all those who don't know. Our great grandchildren need to hear this story. I had seen you around our BYU ward, in fact, we had sort of met on the sidewalk while Christmas caroling. We were walking as a group and you and your roommate were trying to catch up, so we waited for you so you would know where to go. It was a little scary, since it was dark and your wacky roommate was wearing a black trench coat, but we waited none the less. It was a little hard to talk since we were caroling. It wasn't until a late night in January that it really all began. It was probably 9pm at night. I had pulled in from grocery shopping and you walked up offering to help me carry groceries. Since I lived on the third floor, I gladly accepted. You took several bags and then dropped them! I wasn't too impressed. I probably thought you were a klutz. Ha ha. Really, I don't remember. I DO remember that one bag happened to have my eggs. Luckily only one broke. Well actually I am so glad at LEAST one broke, because it wasn't too much longer, that you rang the doorbell and I answered to find you with the cutest grin on your face and an egg in hand. You were so CUTE! You had the biggest smile and the curliest brown hair. And the biggest brown eyes. We talked and flirted. Then that night, I said to my roommate, " I would love to go out with Darin." A few days later you called. My roommate answered and said it's Darin! I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! I am telling you, wishes like this never came true for me! We went to the Wok Right In in Pleasant Grove and then to the Hale Centre Theatre. We saw Beau Jest, a romantic comedy. We talked to so easily, laughed, flirted, it was heaven. I even told my roommie Allison, when I got home that it was the best first date I had ever been on. You even dragged yourself out of bed the next morning to play basketball with my at 6:30am. I should have known then that it was love eternal. :) Despite all this, it took me awhile to decide to get married. (I had that DARN missionary, what his name again? Oh yea, David.) :) LOL LOL LOL! And well I was 19 on our first date. I had always said I would be 21 when I got married. How dum was I? I had no clue what I was doing. But anyhow, you stuck with me, had faith in us and now 11 years later, I find myself still flirting, still wishing you were home from work earlier (4 kids helps that too), still loosing myself in your big brown eyes, and more in love with you than ever. You are 37 today. And smarter, more kind, more understanding, more faithful and more loving. You are a father- a fantastic one. You are more than I could even invision for you. You are beyond my wildest imagination. YOU. Man, I love you! I hope you never doubt that you are my everything. My whole life revolves around you. Here's sending you the biggest, loudest Happy Birthday ever.

PS You are still rollin' towards 40 baby!

PPS To Darin's Mom. How could I celebrate Darin's birthday without celebrating you a little today too? After having given birth, only a Mom knows how much of oneself you give to bring a child into the world. Thank you Mom. For giving birth, for giving life, for teaching, loving and making Darin who he is today. I cannot thank you and Dad enough. I love you!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh this is TOO cute! What a great story, you are right, that one definitely needs to be told to the grandchildren! You guys are precious together, he sounds wonderful and for you to choose him as your life's companion, I know he is!

Happy Birthday Darin!

Robyn said...

That was so sweet! Happy birthday, Darin! It was so cool to find out that you had gotten lucky enough to snag my old friend Amy Mac!